lunes, 24 de septiembre de 2012

A Visit By Bicycle



For all necessary information for your visit to Matucana, go to our first blog post, 
http://matucanagenial.blogspot.com/2012/07/matucana-is-awesome_1803.html


A VISIT BY BICYCLE


Name              : Bernardo Maier
Nationality     : German
Age                 : 35

Bernardo Maier is a German of 35 years who currently resides in France. He started his great adventure exactly 6 years ago, when he happily chose to travel and know the world using his bicycle. So far his experiences have varied from the good to the incredible!!




How did you come up with the idea to travel by bicycle?
When I was on vacation in New Zealand, I overheard two Spanairds conversing and I thought it would be a good idea to learn Spanish. From there I planned to travel to Spain in order to learn its language, by meeting its people and the internet. I already knew German, English and French, of which French helps the most for learning Spanish.

How did you arrive to Peru?
I met a friend in France who is Peruvian and she invited me. Just like that the idea to visit Latin America and Peru was born. To convince me even more, she prepared me a Pisco Sour.

How long have you been traveling in Latin America?
Seven months, starting in January of this year (2012)

What places have you already visited?
Chile for three months, Argentina for two months, Bolivia for a month, and Peru for three weeks.

Where have you visited in Peru?
Puno, Arequipa, Cuzco, and Huancayo, until arriving in Matucana. I have ridden 11,000 KM (6,800 miles) on my bicycle.

Which road do you consider the most difficult?
I would say two, one of which is the most difficult: in Bolivia, because the altitude ranged from 3,700 to 4,700 meters above sea level (12,100 to 15,400 feet above sea level) and Peru since you can be at 4,000 meters (13,100 feet) at one moment and then go down to 2,000 meters (6,500 feet) just to go up again to 4,200 meters (13,700 feet), which is quite a change!!! On top of that you have intense cold at nighttime and intense heat during the day. It’s a great test.

Which place have you liked the most so far in Peru?
Colca Canyon (Arequipa) and the town of Cuzco (Cuzco).

Do you travel alone?
I started my travels alone, but throughout the trip I meet good friends who I follow during the trek. To go to Colca Canyon I was traveling with an Argentine friend who I was with for 6 weeks, but after that we separated.

Do Europeans know Peru?
There are many people in Europe that really like Peru and want to come to know it, but the traveling customs are different, everyone plans his/her trip alone. Here it only works if you take a tour, yet it’s difficult since there are no set schedules.

What do you think about Matucana?
I arrived here by accident, I was intending to get to Lima. But nighttime came and when I arrived to the entrance (of Matucana) I approached and saw a hotel that looked good and cheap, which excited me. So far I’ve only tried Bistec a lo Pobre and I liked it a lot, since I’m a cyclist and I need a ton of energy.

I know that I will like it, since it seems peaceful and pretty, plus the weather is fresh. I believe I’ll stay a couple more days.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario